Monday, April 11, 2011

Read a good book lately?

I love to read and always have.  I've gone through ups and downs with reading depending on what's going on in my life, but the last couple of years, reading has been back on for me!  This is largely due to me wanting to get Taylor involved at the library so I've been taking her to story time for the last couple years plus letting her check out books and DVDs and play on the computer there.  She LOVES it!  So, since we are there pretty much every week, I've gotten back into the habit of checking out books myself and I've enjoyed it so much.  My favorite thing to read is Christian fiction. 

My absolute most favorite author to date is Karen Kingsbury
And currently have in my possession from the library

that I just started reading over the weekend.  This particular title is a modern day telling of Mary Magdalene so I'm excited to dive into it...so far I'm only about three chapters in.  Karen is most known for her Redemption series, which follows the Baxter family.  She has several spin off series from that series where the Baxters aren't main characters, but are in the background.  I'm currently waiting for her newest title Leaving which is the first book in a new series and it just came out in March.  I wonder how long it will take the library to get it...

I also really enjoy Lori Wick
The first ever book I remember reading of her's is

This particular book is not, but a lot of her series and titles are set back in the 1800s or early 1900s.  (Rylan's name actually came from her Big Sky series.  The preacher in that book is named Rylan and long before we knew about our little Rylan I mentally added that name to my boy's name list because I liked it so much!)

My most recently found author that I just LOVE, but have so far only read one title is Francine Rivers

and I read her book titled

Oh my goodness, talk about rip your heart out.  This book is a retelling of the book of Hosea (if you know the story of Hosea and Gomer then you know why this is a rip your heart out book.)  What a glorious picture of God's love for us and His unending devotion to us.

Then, a couple friends turned me on to Angela Hunt
and the first book I read of her's is

which I enjoyed, but then I read The Proposal and enjoyed it even more.

I say all this to say I feel there's a novel in me somewhere that I might just have to put in print someday.  I said this to Kraig the other day and he was like "Yeah, as much as you read, you should definitely be able to write a book!"  HA, if only it were that easy :) .  The problem is that I'm not very creative, which is definitely a must when writing fiction.  So, while there may be a novel in me somewhere, it's probably not a very good novel, HA ;) !  Maybe I should contemplate a non-fiction approach...

2 comments:

  1. You need to read Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (Same lady who wrote Seabiscuit). Incredible story of perseverance about at WWII fighter pilot. I enjoyed it so much that Andrew and Aaron have both started it...it is a little long and they have not finished it, but they have been engrossed in it as well. Its probably a little old for them, but I wasnt going to stop them from reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Redeeming Love is my favorite book! Oh goodness. It makes me cry every. stinkin. time. It's the only book I can read over and over and still love it.

    My favorite author is Donald Miller....I suggest "Through Painted Deserts". Amazing book.

    ReplyDelete