Monday, June 11, 2012

Where in the world...?

Kraig and I did things very traditionally for our wedding, complete with garter removal and tossing.  I knew at that time that supposedly whomever caught the garter was the next to get married, but I had no idea where in the world this tradition came from... So I Googled it today :D

According to what I found on a couple of different sites, centuries ago it was considered very lucky to obtain a piece of the bride's dress.  Apparently, people were very savage like about this so the poor bride's dress would get completely ruined and the bride herself would often get trampled or injured in some way.  (I think if this were still the custom I would've just eloped!!!)  Over time, this resulted in the bride choosing to wear a detachable garment - hence the garter - that could easily be removed.  The groom, wanting to protect his bride from being mauled by wedding guests, would remove the garter for her and toss it to the crowd.

So, here's Kraig protecting his bride from the crazy mob desperate for good luck ~ ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment